Getty Images/iStockphoto
The Collegian – File Photo

Fresno State 2019 graduation class makes history

The Save Mart Center will be host to a historic weekend, as more than 6,200 students receive degrees, making it the biggest graduating class ever at Fresno State.

Also for the first time in history, Fresno State’s University Commencement will take place in the afternoon instead of the traditional morning ceremony. The 108th celebration is slated for Saturday, May 18, at 1:30 p.m., where every graduate””no matter their major””will be honored together for their success.

Each college will host its own ceremony during the weekend, but the commencement is where Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro will confer degrees to the 6,229 students who will graduate.

According to a university news release, 62 percent of graduating students are first-generation college alumni in their family, meaning their parents do not have a degree. In addition, about 49 percent of graduating students are underrepresented minorities.

Among the 6,229 graduates, 5,065 of them will be those who were granted baccalaureate degrees in summer or fall of last year, or this spring. About 1,061 students will be honored for their post-baccalaureate degrees, whether they received them summer or fall of 2018, or this spring.

“We are so proud of all of the accomplishments of all of our graduates,” Dr. Frank R. Lamas, vice president of student affairs and enrollment management at Fresno State said in the release. “We can’t wait to see what their futures hold.”

Lamas also reminded the class of 2019 what the upcoming days are all about, saying, “This weekend is a time for celebrating with family and friends all of your hard work and achievements.”

Hugo Morales of the California State University Board of Trustees will be alongside Castro to confer degrees, while president of Associated Students, Inc. Demi Wack is set to open the ceremony.

The University Commencement is free and open to the public.