Fresno State golfer Brigitte Thibault. Photo courtesy of Fresno State Athletics

Bulldogs golf brief

Women’s Golf

Fresno State sophomore Brigitte Thibault shot a 2-over 74 for a second consecutive day at the Auburn Regional of the NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Regionals on Tuesday at Saugahatchee Country Club.

The tournament is one of four regionals across the country that will determine who will move on to the championships, according to a Fresno State Athletics news release.

Despite matching Monday’s first round score, Thibault dropped into a tie for 28th after capping round one in a tie for 20th. She is 4 over (148) with one round remaining. In order to qualify for the NCAA Championships, Thibault must post one of the three lowest individual scores among the individuals from the teams that place seventh through 18th and the six individual qualifiers.

Thibault’s up-and-down start over the first nine holes on Tuesday settled into another consistent round of pars over the second half. She tallied three bogeys over the round’s first six holes, but carded a birdie on hole No. 7 and pushed forward from that point on to play bogey-free golf. Thibault has accumulated 30 pars over the first 36 holes, which is tied for the most with one other individual out of the 96 player field.

Men’s Golf

Fresno State senior golfer Alex Lee received an at-large individual bid from the NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Committee to compete at the Stanford Regional, May 13-15, according to a Fresno State Athletics news release.

Lee was one of 45 individuals, and 81 teams, selected to participate in the 2019 NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Regionals.

The selection marks back-to-back trips to the NCAA Regionals for Lee, as he received the same individual invitation for the Raleigh Regional in 2018. In his first taste of the postseason, he finished tied for 16th with a 54-hole 4 under 209. Lee most recently finished fourth at the

Mountain West Championship, capping 11 events in 2018-19 with a 71.52 scoring average.

The Bulldogs will be represented in the postseason for the fourth time in the seven seasons since joining the MW.

Lee also became the first Bulldog to receive All-MW honors in back-to-back seasons.