Pitcher Davis Moore (above) was chosen as Mountain West Pitcher of the Week. (Jose Romo Jr.)

Baseball’s first place push down to the wire

Fresno State baseball is enjoying a very successful streak, winning eight out of 10 games with only one loss and one tie.

Last weekend the Bulldogs visited and swept the University of Nevada at Reno, moving into first place in the Mountain West with a conference record of 15-7-1.

The Bulldogs went into Reno facing a tough Wolfpack team that was looking for more wins in its conference record that looked bad with 11 wins and 13 losses.

Fresno State defeated the Wolfpack in the first game of the series 5-3 with pitcher Jaime Arias getting the save and Ryan Jensen the win for the Bulldogs.

The next game on Saturday, the Bulldogs routed the Wolfpack 8-1 thanks to pitcher Davis Moore, who only allowed one run the entire game and struck out 10 batters.

In the last game and with the series already won, the Bulldogs again put eight runs on the board, but this time the Wolfpack scored another run, ending the game 8-2 with pitcher Jamison Hill taking the win.

The ‘Dogs will have to face their toughest opponents in conference the last two weeks of the season.

San Diego State University and University of Nevada, Las Vegas will be the last two opponents for the Bulldogs this season, with the Aztecs in second and the Revels holding third place currently in the Mountain West.

The Bulldogs will be at home against the Aztecs this weekend and will visit the Rebels to close out conference play the weekend after.

Dempsey had two singles, a triple, three RBIs and a run in Friday’s game and on Sunday he went 3-for-3 at the plate with a double, a run and a RBI.

Moore in the other hand pitched his first complete game on Saturday allowing only three hits and one run, also striking out 10 batters and having seven 1-2-3 innings on the game.

Fresno State was set to host CSU Bakersfield Tuesday, but the game was cancelled and will not be made up.

Tuesday’s game was cancelled due to a serious car accident suffered by CSU Bakersfield assistant coach Steve Farrington.

“Yesterday afternoon our assistant baseball coach Steve Farrington was involved in a very serious car accident,” said CSU Bakersfield director of athletics Ziggy Siegfried.

Siegfried also thanked the Fresno State Athletics Department, Athletics Director Terry Tumey and head coach Mike Batesole for their show of support to the CSU Bakersfield baseball team.

“Coach Farrington is a very special person in our baseball program and athletics department. He and his family are in our thoughts and prayers right now,” Siegfried said.

Tumey also made a statement about the accident, acknowledging the cancellation of the game.

“Our thoughts are with the CSU Bakersfield Athletics Department and the Farrington family during this difficult time,” Tumey said “I know that the Red Wave will join us in supporting this decision as we send our deepest sympathies to their community.”

Any ticket holder that would like to exchange their Tuesday’s game ticket can do so at the box office and will receive a ticket for this weekend’s game.