TNS
From left, Hawkeye/Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner), War Machine/James Rhodey (Don Cheadle), Iron Man/Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America/Steve Rogers (Chris Evans), Nebula (Karen Gillan), Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper), Ant-Man/Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) and Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson) are all alive at the beginning of “Avengers: Endgame,” but some of them may not make it to the end. (Marvel Studios 2019/TNS)

‘Avengers: Endgame,’ a perfect finale for Marvel

It’s been a long road for Marvel Studios. 23 films spanning eleven years under one continuous storyline is an absolutely unprecedented accomplishment in movie history. And such an achievement requires the ultimate payoff — a finale to end all finales.

If this seems like a task of epic proportions, that’s because it is. Marvel had a lot to live up to with “Avengers: Endgame,” not only as a finale to the soul-crushing “Avengers: Infinity War,” but as a wrap up for an entire cinematic universe.

And, amazingly, somehow, they managed to pull it off.

“Avengers: Endgame” is the perfect finale. It does everything a finale is supposed to do. In the barest of terms, (no spoilers here — you’re welcome.) you’ll laugh, you’ll cry and you will feel triumphs and tragedies that feel like the conclusion we always wanted.

As for the rest of the plot, as can be expected from a movie that is essentially a conclusion, (yes, I know there is one more movie in Phase 3, Spiderman: Far From Home, but stay with me) anything I say might ruin something, so suffice it to say that the plot will not leave you disappointed.   

As good as the plot is, it takes more than that to make a movie. Directing style, acting, lighting, editing all help make the movie and “Endgame” has all of that. Once again, the Russo brothers knock it out of the park with their directing.

The movie never gets bogged down or drags, and every moment of every scene feels like it is there for a reason. The same follows for the actors — although there are over 30 actors in “Endgame,” each actor honestly feels like they have enough time devoted to their character. And, of course, the performances are outstanding, as usual.

Of course, the original Avengers take the spotlight, but it makes sense as the culmination of the series to both start and end with the main characters.

For all this talk about finales and series culminations, “Endgame” is actually an entertaining movie in its own right and has a sufficient amount of back story built in to make sense even to someone who has only seen a few of the movies.

That said, people who have seen every movie will have tons of Easter eggs and inside jokes to look forward to.

Again, “Endgame” is an awesome conclusion to an awesome series. It is an absolute must-see for anyone, bus especially hard-core fans. I can’t recommend it enough, and I think it’s safe to say that it has definitely earned it’s record-breaking sales profits.

Go see it as soon as possible!