Photo courtesy Fresno State Athletics.

Men’s golf has best finish of season at Chambers Bay

The Fresno State men’s golf team took second place in the SeattleU RedHawk Invitational at Chambers Bay in University Place, Washington, a tournament that took place April 1 and 2.

According to a Fresno State Athletics news release, the Bulldogs had their best finish of the season, shooting 25-under par and ending with a team score of 827 in three total rounds.

Freshman Bulldog Tommy Stephenson had the lowest score on record for the program since the 1993-94 season, shooting a 9-under par 62. Stephenson had a fantastic second round, hitting eagles on holes No. 1 and No. 18.

The Bulldogs’ second round of the tournament was their best in the last 25 years, scoring a season high 18-under par in one round of play.

During the tournament, Fresno State was only surpassed by UCLA which had 37-under par and was closely followed by Oregon State, which finished 15-under par in third place.

Two Bulldogs finished in the top 10, senior Alex Lee finished the tournament with a 10-under par, shooting all three rounds in the 60s and taking fourth place. Stephenson finished the tournament in sixth place, ending with a 6-under par and a 69 in the third round.

Sophomore Kevin Huff ended the tournament tied for 26 with a 2-under par, redshirt senior Cody Riecks finished with a 1-under par tied for 31 and freshman Seldon Doyle hit a 10-over par, finishing tied for 89th place.

Next for the Bulldogs will be their last regular season tournament at the El Macero Classic tournament being held at UC Davis, El Macero Country Club from April 12 to 14.