Photo Courtesy Fresno State Police Department

Fresno State Police Department seeks law enforcement accreditation

The Fresno State Police Department will be examined by a team of assessors from the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (IACLEA), who will visit campus on April 28.

The assessors will evaluate the department’s policies and procedures, management, operation and support services as part of a voluntary process to gain accreditation — a highly-prized recognition of law enforcement and public safety professional excellence, according to a university news release.

“The assessment team is composed of experienced campus law enforcement professionals,” Fresno State Police Lt. Jennifer Curwick said in the release. “The assessors will review written materials, interview individuals and inspect facilities where compliance can be witnessed. Once the assessors complete their review, they will report back to the IACLEA, which will then decide if the department is to be granted accreditation status.”

The release stated that as part of the review process, university personnel, students and the public are invited to offer input about the Fresno State Police Department’s ability to comply with the standards of accreditation by calling the assessment team at 559-278-4295 between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Monday, April 29.

The assessment team will be comprised of team leader Sgt. Kevin Roberto, University of Connecticut Police Department (retired), and Sonya Johnson, Police Planning and Research Manager, Albany (Georgia) Police Department.

The team will also accept written comments that may be submitted by mail to the IACLEA Office of Director of Professional Services at 1110 Bonifant St., Suite 330, Silver Spring, MD 20910.

Fresno State’s Police Department must comply with 215 standards to achieve accreditation status. The department’s accreditation application will be overseen by Curwick, according to the release.

“The overall process has truly been a team effort who assisted in policy and procedure development, crafting operations procedures, organizing equipment and inventories, capital improvement projects and conducting training,” Curwick said in the release.

Accreditation is for three years, during which time the department must submit annual reports attesting to continued compliance with those standards under which it was initially accredited, the release stated.