One of many cosplayers taking part in the cosplay contest at Fresno State’s FresCon on Saturday April 6, 2019. (Jose Romo Jr./The Collegian).

FresCon comic convention offers fun for all ages

Finn the Human, Pickle Rick and R2-D2 were among the colorful characters that came to enjoy events and each other’s company at FresCon Year 5 on Saturday, April 6.

The event took place on Fresno State’s campus, primarily around the University Student Union balcony and the grassy area in front of the Kennel Bookstore. Participants of all ages were there, some braving the heat in elaborate costumes, including many of the numerous children at the event.

Kids attending FresCon even had their own section, the Kid’s Zone, which included face painting and activities just for them.  

“It’s more of a family event. People have their kids. It’s really relaxed,” said Kamy Martinez, one of the vendors at the event.

Martinez was just one of more than 40 vendors selling items from stacks of comic books, custom-knit plush toys and hand-drawn posters to pristine vintage toys and hundreds of stickers.

In addition to the vendors, attendees were able to take in one of five panels held in the Vintage Room, including talks about the psychology of the Sith from “Star Wars,” the evolution of pulp magazines, discussions of the new movie “Night Mistress,” Sci-Fi and Fantasy: Not Just for White Boys and the differences between the Marvel and DC cinematic universes.

One of the main attractions of FresCon began later in the afternoon. The “cosplay” (dressing as a recognizable fictional character) contest began at 4 p.m. with the children’s contest first and the adult contest following.

While there were many outstanding costumes, the winners’ included Link from “The Legend of Zelda,” Hei Hei and Moana from Disney’s “Moana,” anime versions of Spongebob and Patrick and Kida from Disney’s “Atlantis.”

One of the cosplayers, Kevin Beagle, a Fresno State graduate, dressed as Finn the Human from the hit Cartoon Network show “Adventure Time.”

“It’s a lot of fun. It’s really fun when you have a fun costume that people recognize,” Beagle said.

Many of the attendees said that they would like to see FresCon continue in the future and even expand.