Courtesy Fresno State

Free showings for ‘The Super Cilantro Girl’ play this weekend

The Fresno State Theatre for Young Audiences will perform two free showings of “The Super Cilantro Girl” Saturday.

According to a news release, the showings will be at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. at the Dennis and Cheryl Woods Theatre.

The play is by Anthony Arnold Schmidt and directed by J. Daniel Herring, a professor in the Department of Theater Arts.

It is based on stories of Juan Felipe Herrera, a Fowler native who was named 2015 Poet Laureate of the United States. Herrera also served as chair of the Chicano and Latin American Studies Department at Fresno State.

The story revolves around the lives of a family of migrant workers with a 12-year-old daughter named Esmeralda, her younger brother Juanito and their parents settling down in a new town. Change comes their way as the children attend new schools and learn a new language.

Along the way, the family discovers the power of words and the imagination, as well as the importance of their Mexican-American heritage and its place in California’s Central Valley, according to the release.

Admission and parking is free in lots P31, P4 and P1.