Nolan Dempsey (above) was a crucial part of the Bulldogs’ success over the break, leading his team to an 8-1 record. (Jose Romo Jr./The Collegian)

Diamond Dogs’ spring break recap (baseball)

Baseball Recap

Over the weekend, the Fresno State baseball team won its fifth straight game, moving them into sole possession of first place in the MW. The Bulldogs completed a series sweep at San Jose State University (SJSU) on Saturday afternoon with a 6-1 victory at Excite Ballpark.

With the sweep, the ‘Dogs improve to 7-1 in MW road games and 16-6 overall away from home. The Bulldogs have now won four straight MW games and are now 9-2 in their last 11 after starting the season 2-4.

Following their series sweep of SJSU, the Bulldogs (25-12, 11-6 MW) are now winners of 10 of their last 11 contests, as they defeated the University of Pacific (21-19, 8-10 West Coast Conference) on Tuesday night 11-3 at Pete Biden Stadium.

Bulldogs Sweep Weekly Awards

Following the sweep of SJSU and a week after earning its first MW weekly honor, the Fresno State baseball team doubled up on a pair of weekly Mountain West honors, as senior second baseman Nolan Dempsey and sophomore pitcher Nikoh Mitchell earned MW Player and Pitcher of the Week honors.

Helping the ‘Dogs to a perfect 4-0 mark and a sweep over SJSU on the road, Dempsey had a standout week at the plate, hitting .389 and going 7-for-18. Dempsey was on fire, accumulating a 1.000 slugging percentage on the week with two doubles, three home runs, three runs scored, eight RBI and 18 total bases.

And on the mound, Mitchell posted a season-long outing against the Spartans on Saturday with 6.1 innings while holding SJSU to three singles, striking out seven and walking two. Mitchell allowed only one earned run, which helped the ‘Dogs complete the series sweep of the Spartans.

For the duo of Dempsey and Mitchell, it is each of their first career MW weekly honors and the fourth time this season the MW has honored a pair of teammates, as New Mexico did it on Feb. 18 and UNLV did it in back-to-back weeks on March 25 and April 1.