The production ‘Book of Days’ will be opening Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the Dennis and Cheryl Woods Theatre. (Marilyn Castaneda/The Collegian)

Lanford Wilson’s drama ‘Book of Days’ opening this week

Fresno State’s University Theatre will present its latest production, “Book of Days,” opening Friday at 7:30 p.m at the Dennis and Cheryl Woods Theatre.

The premiere is written by Lanford Wilson and directed by J. Daniel Herring.

Performances will run from March 22 to March 30, beginning at 7:30 p.m., except for a 2 p.m. start on March 24.

The play focuses on the small town of Dublin, Missouri, dominated by three institutions: a cheese plant, a fundamentalist church and a community theatre. When murder strikes in the town, Ruth Hoch begins her quest to find truth and honesty among the town’s jealousies, religion, greed and lies.

“‘Book of Days’ depicts a small Missouri town on a collision course comprised of religion, politics, secrets and scandal,” Herring said in a news release. “Judgements are made and justice is at stake. Sometimes we laugh and sometimes we shake our heads in disbelief at the events in today’s world, just as the residents of Dublin, Missouri.”

Tickets are $17 for adults; $15 for Fresno State faculty, staff, alumni and military; and $10 for all students. Children under 5 years old are not admitted.

Parking is free for shows on Friday through Sunday nights. A parking pass will be required on Tuesday through Thursday nights.

For more information, contact the box office at 559-278-2216 or [email protected].