A 23-year-old Kerman man was driving a 2018 Mercedes east in the westbound lanes of Highway 180 near Hayes Avenue around 11 p.m. Monday, March 4, 2019 when he collided head-on with a 22-year-old Firebaugh woman who was westbound in a 2015 Honda. Both drivers died at the scene. (Larry Valenzuela/The Collegian)

Fresno State student killed in double-fatal head-on collision

A Fresno State student was killed in a double-fatal head-on collision late Monday night on Highway 180, where drugs may have played a factor, according to California Highway Patrol.

Yvette Aldana Jimenez, 22, of Firebaugh was identified by Fresno County Sheriff’s as one of the victims in the collision. Fresno State public information officer Lisa Boyles confirmed on Wednesday that Jimenez was a student of Fresno State.

The incident took place just after 11 p.m., when CHP received reports of a two-car head-on collision on Highway 180 near Hayes Avenue.

Upon arrival, officers found the two drivers were killed at the scene.

The CHP said a 23-year-old Kerman man, identified as Emad Murshed, was driving a 2018 Mercedes east in the westbound lanes of the highway when he collided head-on with Jimenez, who was westbound in a 2015 Honda.

CHP said drugs may have been a factor in the collision, which is still under investigation.

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro released the following statement on Monday.

“My wife, Mary, and I are heartbroken to learn of Yvette’s passing. Although we didn’t know her personally, we feel a deep affection for all of our students who come to Fresno State with promising futures ahead of them. We send our condolences to Yvette’s family and friends for their tragic loss.”