Geoff Thurner 2017
Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro and his wife Mary obsvere a livestock exhibit during National Ag Day on Thursday, March 14, 2019. (Geoff Thurne/Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology)

Fresno State celebrates National Ag Day

Fresno State agriculture students hosted an outdoor celebration for National Agriculture Day that featured free Fresno State-made ice cream and an agricultural club fair.

ASI senator for the College of Agriculture Jacqueline Taylor said that this year’s celebration was bigger and better than ever.

“We are really excited to see what happens,” Taylor said. “We hope to continue this.”

The ice cream and snacks were provided by the Fresno State Gibson Farm Market. All of the produce from the market is grown by Fresno State students.

Fresno State student Omar Hernandez said he is surprised that some people are still unaware of the market.

“Something like this gives us a chance to show students the people behind the products and get people to know that we have those products available,” Hernandez said.  

He said that lately there has been a big disconnect between farmers and the public. Furthermore, Hernandez said that he hopes to ensure people that farmers care greatly for the environment and its sustainability.

“We have to keep our livelihood going for generation[s] to come,” he said. “We are some of the strongest advocates for the environment.”

Many of the agricultural clubs attended to share their love for agriculture. The president of the Fresno State Viticulture Club, Eddie Rios, said he was very excited to share the great opportunities that the club has been providing to viticulture and enology students.