Candice White plays at the Save Mart Center in WNIT on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.

‘Dogs to face Pacific in first round of WNIT

The Fresno State women’s basketball team accepted an invitation to the Women’s National Invitation Tournament (WNIT), making this the eighth appearance by the Bulldogs in the postseason tournament.

According to a Fresno State Athletics news release, the Bulldogs will host University of the Pacific at the Save Mart Center on Wednesday, March 20, at 7 p.m. in the first round.

This will be the first appearance for the Bulldogs in the WNIT since 2016, during which the ‘Dogs defeated Santa Clara University in the first round, but were eliminated in the second round of the tournament by the University of Oregon.

With an overall record of 19-12, the Bulldogs finished fourth in the Mountain West Conference with a record of 11-7. This was the sixth time the Bulldogs have reached the semifinals of the conference in seven years.

At home, the Bulldogs are 14-8 against the Tigers and have averaged a 10-point margin victory the last two times the programs played. Pacific finished sixth in the West Coast Conference with an overall record of 19-12.

Both Pacific and Fresno State have faced each other 47 times, with the Bulldogs having the edge on the all-time series with 26 wins and 21 losses, winning six out of the last seven encounters.

If the Bulldogs advance to the second round of the tournament, they will face either Idaho State University or the University of Arizona.

In her fifth season as head coach, Jaime White is one win away from getting her 100th victory as coach of the Fresno State Bulldogs. Coach White has a record of 1-1 in the last three postseason appearances by the Bulldogs.

The WNIT tournament will go from March 20 to April 6 and will be televised by CBS Sports Network.