Deshon Taylor going up for a dunk against San Jose State University on senior night. Taylor was selected to first team All-MW team. (Jose Romo Jr./The Collegian)

Bulldogs 3 Mountain West honoree; Sam Bittner academic All-American

Award season is rolling around just in time for the start of the Mountain West Basketball Championships as the conference released its choices for All-MW team honorees and individual season honors Tuesday afternoon.

Senior standouts Deshon Taylor and Braxton Huggins were selected to the All-MW first and second teams respectively. Alongside them is junior emerging star Nate Grimes, who was named as an All-MW honorable mention.

For Taylor, this is the second year in a row he has been chosen as first team All-MW. Taylor was also recognized for his defensive prowess as he was chosen for his second All-MW defensive team.

Taylor is having an outstanding season, averaging 18.4 points and 4.8 assists per game. On the defensive end, Taylor is averaging 1.4 steals per game, good enough for second place in the conference.

The All-MW second team selection is the first time Huggins has been honored by the conference and is well-deserved as he has been shooting lights out as of late, coming off a record-setting performance of 10 3-point field goals made against San Jose State University.

As for his season stats, Huggins has been averaging 19.3 points per game, placing fourth in the MW. Along with his second team selection, Huggins was chosen as MW Newcomer of the Year.

Grimes has transformed himself into the post presence that the Bulldogs badly needed as he is nearly averaging a double-double this season with 11.4 points and 9.4 rebounds.

Senior Sam Bittner also received honors this week as he was named to the Google Cloud Academic All-American third team, the first in program history, the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) announced on Monday afternoon.

Bittner is also a three-time MW scholar athlete and three-time Academic All-MW selection.