22 FEB 2019: The 2019 Mountain West Indoor Track and Field Championship takes place at the Albuquerque Convention Center in Albuquerque, NM. (Justin Tafoya/NCAA Photos)

Athlete of the Month: Jestena Mattson

The Collegian sports staff has selected Jestena Mattson as its Athlete of the Month for February.

Mattson showed off at the Mountain West Championships breaking her own school record by scoring 4,082 points, fifth-best in conference history, in the pentathlon to capture her second MW pentathlon gold medal of her career.

The senior was able to tie her personal best in high jump (1.70m) and set a new personal best in the shot put with a distance of (12.81).

The victory in the pentathlon earned Mattson a spot on the 2018-19 MW Indoor Track and Field All-Conference team, along with teammates Varvara Klyuchnikova and Maja Pogorevc.

With her win on Feb. 21 she became the first Fresno State athlete, male or female, to hold three conference championships in combined events with two wins in pentathlon and one in heptathlon.

Mattson was invited to compete in the NCAA Championships in Birmingham, Alabama, on March 8 where she will be up against 16 athletes competing in the pentathlon.

According to Fresno State Athletics, Mattson will be the first Bulldogs athlete to participate at the NCAA indoor championships since Je’Nia Sears competed in the long jump in 2013.