Students participate in HackFresno’s 2019 hackathon at Fresno State on Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019. (Larry Valenzuela/The Collegian)

Third annual Hackathon brings creativity through tech

Techies had a chance to show off their skills in the third annual Hackathon, which encourages Fresno State students to use creativity and innovation to solve some of the world’s toughest problems.

The 24-hour-long design and innovation competition was held at Fresno State’s North Gym, Room 118, starting on Saturday and ending on Sunday.

The event was open to students of all skill levels. Participants were encouraged to form teams and develop apps and software that were focused on four core themes that encompass today’s toughest issues, such as education, health and wellness, environment and agriculture and social good.

Teams were encouraged to stay for the full 24 hours to work on their projects. Projects worked on during the event included education apps, machine learning apps, hardware applications and even a virtual reality game.   

Participants were then required to present their projects and tell the judges how these apps will benefit the world in the themes they chose.

“We just give students an opportunity to network, enhance their skills and build resumes,” said Aaron Marroquin, head of public relations of HackFresno.