(Left to right) Kathie Mollica, Jessica Johnson, Heather Roberts-Shorts, Melanie Ramsey, and Celestial Bracamonte performing “They Beat the Girl Out of my Boy.”

The Vagina Monologues speak out about empowering women

The Women’s Alliance and the Cross Cultural and Gender Center once again welcomed the “Vagina Monologues” to Fresno State for its opening night on Feb. 15 in the North Gym.

Based on Eve Esler’s “Vagina Monologues” the play is a collection of emotional experiences that more than 200 women have gone through in their lives.

“It’s hard not to get your feelings involved,” said Ayriese Smith, a third-year psychology major at Fresno State and producer of the play.

Smith said she wants the audience to feel comfortable about their bodies and to be open and understanding of anyone’s experience.

The cast members have been preparing since Jan. 5 for the play.

This year’s theme was empowering women. Smith told the audience that every cast member decided to dress in the clothes that made them feel powerful and unique. Cotton pants, a skirt with illuminated lights under it, a dress with flower print ”” all displayed the diversity and powerful personalities of the cast members.

“This is an act of defiance,” Smith said, explaining that she wants to encourage people to talk about their bodies freely. “We are not going to stop talking because it [vagina] makes you uncomfortable.”

Before the show, Melanie Glass, a Pennsylvania artist and writer, shared her poetry with the audience. Some of her art pieces were inspired by the monologues and experiences she has gone through as a woman. The audience was able to enjoy Glass’s artwork before and after the show.

The monologues kicked off with “The Lists.”

“If your vagina could talk, what would it say,” performer Kathie Mollica started off.

“More, more! Not there! Yes!” performers Jessica Johnson and Suzanne Grazyna answered and set the mood for the night.

The eight actresses narrated different monologues with unique and powerful stories of hair shaming, rape and pleasure. All the serious topics were discussed with different tones that engaged the audience in conversations where the word “vagina” is not stigmatized.

“It’s ok to talk about these issues, to be honest and upfront about things that affect women,” said Johnson, a fourth-year performer in the production.

Johnson’s solo performance, “The Woman Who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy,” focused on the bodily pleasure many women neglect themselves. Johnson also helped perform “They Beat the Girl Out of My Boy,” which discussed the struggle transexual people go through to feel like themselves.

“I didn’t know anything about women’s health and rights issues,” said Johnson, who was a sophomore at Fresno State when she first discovered the “Vagina Monologues.” She said her experience as a cast member has helped her grow into the woman she is now.

“We have to encourage each other and be allies for each other,” Johnson said.

Lina Ramirez, a social work student, said this experience “made [her] feel uncomfortable, but it inspired [her] to reach out and talk with other women.”

The “Vagina Monologues” has been featured at Fresno State for more than 15 years. Every year, the funds raised from the play are donated to an organization. The Rape Counseling Services at Fresno and Firebaugh will be the beneficiaries of this year’s performances.