Fresno State forward Sam Bittner attempts a layup while defended by Utah State’s Neemias Queta, left, and Quinn Taylor during the Bulldogs’ 82-81 loss at the Save Mart Center on Feb. 5, 2019. (Jose Romo Jr./The Collegian).

Sam Bittner receives academic honor

It was announced Thursday that Fresno State senior Sam Bittner was selected as a 2018-19 Google Cloud first-team Academic All-District 8 honoree by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA), according to a press release from Fresno State athletics.

Bittner is familiar with academic excellence, as he has been chosen as a three-time Mountain West scholar athlete and three-time Academic All-MW selection during his time at Fresno State.

According to Fresno State Athletics, Bittner, who is now a two-time academic all-district honoree, is the second Bulldog ever to be honored as a CoSIDA Academic All-District selection, along with three-time academic all-district honoree Nedeljko Golubovic (2009-11). Bittner is currently majoring in business administration (entrepreneurship) and has a cumulative 3.9 grade point average at Fresno State.

While on the court Bittner, has started all 26 of the Bulldogs’ games this season, averaging 7 points, 4.7 rebounds, 2.2 assists to go along with his 1.2 steals per game. Bittner’s effort has helped lead the Bulldogs to a (19-7, 10-4 MW) record this season while the Bulldogs are in third place in the conference standings.

The 2018-19 Google Cloud Academic All-District Men’s Basketball team recognizes the nation’s top student-athletes for their combined performances on the court and in the classroom. Bittner is one of five student athletes and the only MW student-athlete named to the District 8 first-team this season and is one of 40 Division I student athletes on the Google Cloud Academic All-America Team ballot, with national winners announced in mid-March.