Tribune News Service

Ocasio-Cortez and the rise of Socialism

You may have heard of Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez through videos on Facebook or you may even have seen some of her clap-back tweets fact-checking Twitter trolls.

Currently 29 years of age, thus a millennial, Ocasio-Cortez is the youngest female member ever elected to Congress.

While her victory into Congress was in itself a David versus Goliath story, defeating 10-term Democrat Joe Crowley in the primary was the result of grassroots campaigning powered by the Democratic Socialists of America.

The Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) is an organization of dues-paying members who organize to change the exploitative, oppressive and environmentally destructive system that capitalism has continued to operate under.

Ocasio-Cortez is a member of DSA and ran for office as a Democrat.

Fun fact: members of DSA Fresno and Fresno State’s very own Young Democratic Socialists text-banked for Ocasio-Cortez during the midterm primaries of 2018.

Ocasio-Cortez is now said to represent all millennials in the political sphere.

While many of us were inspired by socialist Bernie Sanders in 2016, socialists of all ages should try not to hero worship any public figure.

Ocasio-Cortez and Sanders both fight hard on progressive platforms, such as Medicare For All, tuition-free higher public education and the Green New Deal.

As socialists, we are fortunate to have leaders who put spotlights on these issues. However, Ocasio-Cortez and Sanders cannot do it alone.

We need everyone, especially millennials, to organize, get involved and use our talents to change the world for generations to come. And remember: a better world is possible.

To become a member of the DSA go to dsausa.org/join.

Note: The Collegian reached out to Fresno State’s College Republicans and Young Democratic Socialists for their opinions on congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The Fresno State Republicans have not responded.