Tribune News Service

Letter to the editor: A view of humanity through diversity

Upon the ignorance of a pseudo-populist working from out of the Oval Office, it would be a comeuppance for the elitist-in-chief to view a little-known, publicly televised edition titled “The Bench,” which was hosted by the late PBS stalwart, Huell Howser, who conducted an emotional commentary of the denizens visiting Los Angeles’ Echo Park one day in 1996.

The rawness of the unedited piece exudes a subtle frustration for one individual, yet the majority that Mr. Howser spoke with possessed hope. That reflected as a paramount resonance their long-term welfare that life must be willed through personal ethics and for the respectful treatment of all socioeconomic classes.

As Mr. Howser encountered English and non-English speaking people alike, he treated each as human beings.

Never, as interpreting his narrative of mind and body, did he ever allude that he could be interviewing an illegal immigrant, nor did he criminalize those that had been incarcerated, as one beneath his stead.

Within the episode, one humanistic prose representing adversity through extraordinary circumstances involved one woman, who single-handedly raised her sons on dual jobs, radiating such positivity that Mr. Howser took note that she was still smiling despite her struggle of maintaining a quality of life for her family.

Factually, she reiterated that the smile was for her children, and within her, there existed solemnity.

Meanwhile, the populist reclines at his desk, pondering what more can he take from someone who has less, so that he can give more to those who could have the most.