+Fresno+State%E2%80%99s+Kyle+Pruhsmeier+throws+a+pitch+during+the+Fresno+State+alumni+game+at+Peter+Beiden+Field+on+Saturday+Feb.+9%2C+2019.+%28Jose+Romo+Jr.%2FThe+Collegian%29.
Fresno State’s Kyle Pruhsmeier throws a pitch during the Fresno State alumni game at Peter Beiden Field on Saturday Feb. 9, 2019. (Jose Romo Jr./The Collegian).

‘Dogs look ready for season after alumni game victory

With less than a week until the start of the 2019 Fresno State baseball season, the ‘Dogs looked more than ready, securing a dominant 10-2 victory over former Bulldogs players in the annual Alumni game at Pete Beiden Field on Feb. 9.

The game got off to a quick start, as the alumni team was able to load the bases against lefty Bulldogs starter Nikoh Mitchell in the first inning. After walking in a run with loaded bags, Mitchell was able to escape the early threat with a strikeout to retire the side, surrendering just one run in the inning.

The ‘Dogs were unable to capitalize on runners in scoring position in their half of the first inning, but tied the game in the second when ‘Dogs infielder Nolan Dempsey launched a ball over the left field wall, just inside the foul pole.

The ‘Dogs wouldn’t get on the board again until the fourth inning, when a wild pitch with the bases loaded scored catcher Zach Presno from third. With runners on second and third, ‘Dogs outfielder Miles Tomczak brought his teammates home with a double.

Tomczak moved to third on a flyout, and later found his way home when an errant throw to first failed to put away Bulldogs outfielder Zach Ashford, giving the ‘Dogs a 5-1 lead after four innings.

With loaded bags in the bottom of the fifth, Dempsey drove in another run when a flyball to shallow center dropped just in front of the center fielder. The ‘Dogs were not done scoring, and ended the inning with an 8-2 lead over the alumni squad.

The alumni team put up its second run of the afternoon against Bulldogs infielder and pitcher McCarthy Tatum in the sixth inning.

Despite the earned run, the ‘Dogs’ pitching managed to keep the alumni out of action, allowing only four hits in the exhibition.

The Bulldogs would add to their lead, scoring runs in both the sixth and seventh innings, as they closed out the seven-inning contest with a total of nine hits with one error.

The ‘Dogs will return to Pete Beiden field on Feb. 15 to face the Utah Valley Wolverines for the first game of the season.