‘Dogs defeat Oregon State and get their third straight dual win

The Fresno State wrestling team looked to win its third dual win a row, but first they must get pass the Oregon State University Beavers who were looking to gain momentum with a win away from home. The Bulldogs defeated the Beavers in the dual, 27-13, securing their third straight win and their seventh of the season.

The dual began with the 165-pound weight class as Bulldog Isaiah Hokit faced Aaron Olmos in a match that would go the distance. Hokit dominate the entire match getting a couple of takedowns and in the first and second period to take the lead and eventually defeat Olmos 11-3.

For the second match, the Bulldogs Dominic Kincaid matched up against Colt Doyle in the 174-pound weight class. Doyle dominate the entire match, eventually defeating Kincaid 9-1 to even out the dual.

Next up for the Bulldog, Jackson Hemauer, who is ranked No. 25 at the 184 weight class, faced off against Bob Coleman. Hemauer secured a takedown early in the match, giving him an early lead and nearly pinning down Coleman. Hemauer finished the first period, 14-0.

Hemauer eventually won the match by technical fall, 15-0, at the start of the second period after getting a quick point from an escape.

In the next match, Bulldog two-sport athlete and No.13 at 197-pound weight class Josh Hokit would face Jamarcus Grant. Hokit took an early lead and got out of the first period with a 4-1 lead. He eventually generated more points in the next two periods to win the match 12-6 by decision.

For the heavyweight match, Bulldogs No. 20 AJ Nevills went against No. 4 Amar Dhesi. Dhesi dominated most of the three periods. Nevills accrued a few points from escapes, but it wasn’t enough, losing 10-4 to give the Beavers crucial points in the dual.

After the intermission, the ‘Dogs’ Robert Garcia faced No. 3 Ronnie Bresser in the 125-pound weight class. In a quick match, Bresser pinned Garcia within the first 30 seconds of the match to close down the Bulldogs lead.

The next match at 133-pound weight class saw Bulldog Gary Joint matchup against Kegan Calkins. Joint was quick to get points at the start of the match and he continued to dominate, only allowing Calkins a few points in the second period and eventually won the match, 10-3.

Bulldog Chris Deloza was next up in the 141-pound weight class against Oregon State’s Grant Willits. In a tough matchup, Deloza won by three points, 10-7, to add to the Bulldogs lead.

Khristian Olivas, who is ranked No. 12, was up next for the Bulldogs, facing Josh Reyes in the 149-pound weight class. Olivas gave up the first points of the match after being called for an illegal hold, but took the lead in the second round and eventually won the match, 8-3.

For the last match of the dual at 157-pound weight class the Bulldog’s Jacob Wright faced Hunter Willits. Willits came out strong and took the first points, but Wright would get a point back from an escape before the end of the first period.

In the second period, Willits would suffer a head injury, but continued into the third period until he was unable to continue, giving Wright the win by injury default.

After the dual, ‘Dogs head coach Troy Stainer commented on how the team has been working hard to get wins in the last three duals.

“I really liked how we came out and how we performed, we knew there were going to be some tight battles and our guys stayed strong and performed well,” Steiner said. “We just have to keep reminding them why they are here, because all these guys have high goals that they have set for themselves.”