TNS
U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Democrat of New York, speaks during a press conference held at the United States Capitol in Washington, DC on Feb. 7, 2019. (Alex Edelman/CNP/Zuma Press/TNS)

Congresswoman appeals to younger generation’s voice

During the 2018 midterm elections, Congress took some monumental steps forward in electing congressmen and congresswomen of different ethnic backgrounds and age groups across the political spectrum.

One such political candidate and social activist was Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who became one of the youngest congresswomen ever elected.

Beginning with grassroot support to gain attention in waves from the public, Ocasio-Cortez slowly won over the younger generation’s votes with her empowering messages and straightforward speech. Often speaking in a conversational manner, her speeches provided an opportunity for any member of the public to understand politics if they were willing to listen.

Stepping away from using political jargon and language that often confuses the public, Ocasio-Cortez speaks in a way that demonstrates that age and experience don’t matter in regard to how well one can do their job as a politician.

However, the topics she discusses in public and those broadcasted on television are in no way easygoing or boring for the audience. Often confrontational when dealing with her political peers and colleagues, the messages she discusses have become topical and their urgency evident to all those who hear her.

Ocasio-Cortez stands firm in proving that the millennial generation is not one to be taken lightly, nor will the corruption and indecencies in politics continue unaddressed as the older generation remains in power, one election after another.