Bulldogs propel hot start to 5-1 record

The Fresno State baseball team participated in the Tony Gwynn Legacy Tournament in San Diego last weekend, winning all three games that they played. The tournament, hosted by both University of San Diego and San Diego State University, was held from Feb. 22 to the 24.

In its fourth year, the Tony Gwynn Legacy Tournament celebrates the legacy MLB and San Diego State legend Tony Gwynn.

Besides the Bulldogs, Kansas State University, Cal State Fullerton, Oklahoma University, University of Utah and Missouri State University were also invited to the tournament.

The Bulldogs were scheduled to play Utah on Thursday, but due to inclement weather, they had to cancel their first game of the tournament.

On Friday, the ‘Dogs were able to play and faced Kansas State at the University of San Diego Fowler Park. The ‘Dogs defeated Kansas State 11-3, with pitcher Ryan Jensen on the mound, shutting down the Wildcats for five straight innings and only allowing one run in six innings.

For the Bulldogs, on offense Zach Presno and Nolan Dempsey had a good night, with Presno scoring a two-run home run and getting three hits overall and Dempsey with two hits and three runs.

In a news release from Fresno State Athletics, head coach Mike Batesole said that he liked that a lot of his players got playing time and that a ball club having a lot of players with playing time is a good thing.

“[Jensen] had outstanding fastball command, a lot of confidence and if he can get going, he will have a big year,” Batesole said.

With one win already in the books, Fresno State was ready to face its next challenge on Saturday, facing Cal State Fullerton in the San Diego State Tony Gwynn stadium.

The Bulldogs defeated the Titans 5-2, with pitcher Nikoh Mitchell only allowing six hits and two runs, getting the win for the Bulldogs. Fresno State was able to pull away from the Titans in the eighth inning, thanks to JT Arruda who hit a home run that put the Bulldogs up by two.

Auston Chastain sealed the win for the Bulldogs in the ninth inning, hitting a single into center field and bringing in Jeff Jamison for a final score of 5-2.

In the last game of the tournament, the Bulldogs faced off against the Missouri State Bears, this was the first-ever meeting between the programs.

The game was played at the Tony Gwynn Stadium and was scoreless until the fourth inning, when the Bulldogs Arruda, Dempsey and Presno all scored runs, giving the ‘Dogs a three run lead.

Bulldog Davis Moore pitched five innings, striking out seven opponents and only allowing two runs.

Missouri State scored twice in the fifth inning, but it wouldn’t be enough and the Bulldogs took their third win of the tournament.

The Bulldogs improved their overall record to 5-1, gathering momentum for their upcoming Mountain West Conference weekend series against University of Nevada Las Vegas.