Big 12 Expansion?

The Fresno State equestrian team may move to the Big 12 Conference starting next season, according to assistant director of communications for the team Travis Blanshan. The move would transfer the Bulldog equestrian team from their conference, the United Equestrian Conference, to the Big 12 Conference.

Fresno State Athletic Director Terry Tumey also commented about how and when the move may happen.

“We have expressed an interest to the Big 12 Conference office for our equestrian program to become an affiliate member of the Big 12 and we anticipate a resolution on the topic later this spring,” Tumey said. “We are thrilled to compete in the conferences we are currently affiliated with and we look forward to continuing to establish competitive rivalries with our peer institutions.”

Fresno State, which is currently ranked No. 9 in the nation, will be sharing the conference with teams like Texas Christian University, Baylor University and Oklahoma State University.

This would make the equestrian program the second team from Fresno State to join the Big 12 Conference, as the wrestling team joined the conference two years ago when the program was brought back.

At this time, there is no indication of Fresno State trying to move from the Mountain West to the Big 12 in all athletic competitions.

“As for our other sport programs we have no intention to change conferences at this time,” Tumey said.