Fresno State’s Jacob Wright, one of the three wrestlers honored, defends a takedown attempt during the Bulldogs’ victory over South Dakota State at the Save Mart Center on Jan. 20 th , 2019. (Jose Romo Jr./The Collegian).

3 Bulldog wrestler garnered with Big 12 honors

Three Bulldogs wrestlers were named First-Team Academic All-Big 12 on Thursday, according to a news release from the Mountain West.

Redshirt freshman Brandon Martino, Jacob Wright and Jeremy Trinh were three of 91 student athletes honored by the conference with 61 earning first-team honors and 30 athletes were named to the second team, the release said.

To be selected for the first team, students must have maintained a 3.20 GPA or better while second team selections must have maintained a 3.00 to 3.19 GPA.

A Clovis native and agricultural business major, Martino has a record of 5-7 on the season with a 2-4 record in duals. The wins consist of two major decisions, one fall, one technical fall and one decision.

Trinh, a kinesiology-sports administration major from Oxnard, is 7-11 overall with a 0-3 record in duals.

Wright is a criminology-forensic behavioral science major and has an overall record of 21-9, including 16-4 at the 157-pound weight class.

Wright also ranks No. 29 in the most recent NCAA coaches rankings and has won 10 of his last 12 matches.