The Henry Madden Library will extend its hours for the days leading up to and during finals week to accomodate the needs of students working late. Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

10 fact to know as library addition turns 10

The Native American basket theme of the library’s design was inspired by a gift of $10 million donated from the Table Mountain Rancheria for the library’s renovation. Due to the partnership of the Table Mountain Rancheria, the library wanted to honor them and the Native American culture around the area.

The Native Plant Garden, located by the Peace Garden, brings one of many unique touches to the campus. This garden contains local native plants, which are grown and harvested by local Native American groups. These plants are used for basket weaving techniques.

The earth-tone walls on each floor of the library were inspired by the natural elements found at the Table Mountain Rancheria.

The lady in a red dress, Lois Conner, located outside of the library in a huge video screen had become the longest art film performance in 2009, the same year the library was going under construction.

Henry Madden was the university’s librarian from 1949 to 1979. In his hands, the library’s collection grew tremendously, from 70,000 volumes to 560,000 volumes. Madden had the goal of improving the library. Therefore, in his honor the library was named after him.

The Music & Media Library, located on the third floor of the north wing, was created in 1968 and was called the Music Library. The Music & Media Library holds the largest collection of CDs and final albums in the CSU. In this area, there are media labs that students may use to compose music, record podcasts, edit videos and utilize graphic design software.

The Special Collection Research Center, located on the fourth floor of the library, contains special collections of rare and unique books. The area also contains rare artifacts and university archives. The library has the world’s largest collection on the world’s fair. Anyone may check them out, but be read/look in the Woodward Family Reading room, as located on the fourth floor.

The Philip Levine Reading Room, located on the second floor of the north wing, was named in honor of Laureate poet, Philip Levine. This space features a sitting area to study, read and write for anyone, as well as a collection of Levine’s poetry and literature.

The prayer/meditation room, located on the third floor of the south wing, near the administrative office, is another resource for students.

The lactation room is located on the third floor of the south wing, around the corner from the administrative office. This is a secure room for nursing mothers to feel comfortable and safe, which includes a chair and a window for viewing. Mothers, whether students or faculty, may request access to this room from the Human Resources Center.