Tribune News Service

Tips on how to help you save money

As a college student, the sound of the word money can be stressful, trust me I know. We often are dealing with responsibilities like homework, work, possibly children, or just personal difficulties of our own. So when we run across money complications, our anxieties just get that much worse. Being smart or careful with your money can lessen those worries. Here are some tips to help you save money.  

Eat at home
There’s nothing like home cooked meals anyway. So save your money and cook at home. Internet or cooking shows serve as great inspiration if you aren’t the best cook out there, like me.

Seek financial help
If you aren’t sure how to tackle saving money, go to a professional that will guide you. Although there are a variety of professionals to turn to, consider the Money Management Center at Fresno State. It serves as a free resource on campus that helps financially counsel students. Check out its website for upcoming events.

Shop smart
The student cupboard is free to all Fresno State students and is located on campus. Just present your school ID and you will be eligible for free groceries. Also, look out for student discounts that are often offered at nearby restaurants or shops. Read here to check out a few restaurants that offer student discounts.

Coupon more
Couponing can really save you some money. You can do just that by picking up your local newspaper, which contains a variety of coupons. If you don’t feel like flipping through pages or cutting out little squares, many stores offer their coupons online through their websites.

Attend campus activities
If you feel like having a night out, save money by attending free films offered on campus for students. Or an inexpensive game of bowling or billiards. The Bulldog Bowl open house is on Wednesday and will offer free bowling and billiards with a Fresno State ID from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Use campus transportationSave gas and take advantage of campus transportation that can pick you up and drop you off near your car. Not only is the Bulldog Express offered for free to students, but there are five different Fresno bus routes throughout the city that are completely free to students, staff, and faculty with just the swipe of your Bulldog card. Read more about it here.