Chevron reservoir supervisor Marc Guzman presents a check for $450,000 to Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro on Jan. 24, 2019. The donation will go toward supporting STEM and other programs at the university. (Courtesy of Fresno State)

Chevron donates over $400,000 to Fresno State STEM programs

Chevron announced a $450,000 donation for the advancement of the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs during a press conference at the Smittcamp Alumni House on Thursday, according to a university news release.

According the release, a reservoir supervisor with Chevron, Marc Guzman represented the company during the donation announcement.

“It is very exciting to see how our contribution will be implemented,” Guzman said in the news release. “And will make a direct impact not only in the classrooms, but also in the community.”

This is the second time Chevron has given the university a donation this size. In October of 2017, Chevron donated the same amount in support of STEM programs in the Lyles College of Engineering and the College of Science and Mathematics.

“Thousands of students’ lives have been transformed by Chevron’s generosity, which allows us to educate a new generation of leaders that is prepared to boldly address regional and national challenges,”said Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro in the press release. “With strong community partners like Chevron, we will continue to graduate innovative scientists, engineers, entrepreneurs, teachers and researchers who help to elevate the Central Valley and beyond.”

The donations will be distributed to programs in the following institutions: the Lyles College, College of Health and Human Services, Craig School of Business, Office of Community and Economic Development and Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.

The release stated that of the total donation, $150,000 has been designated to go to the community Mobile Health Unit; $140,000 to the Control Systems Laboratory; $100,000 to Engineering Pathways; $25,000 to STEM 5; $25,000 to Parent University; and $10,000 for Homecoming.

“Chevron’s contributions support career readiness, STEM education and community engagement,” Castro said in the press release. “We hope to continue strengthening our partnership for the greater good of our region, nation and world.”