Students and faculty stand at a Jackets for James booth, where individuals can donate new and lightly used coats that will go to the Poverello House. (Paige Gibbs/The Collegian)

This week donate a coat and get a free meal

Fresno State Wellness Services is partnering with the Poverello House as part of National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week to collect new and gently used jackets and sweatshirts for those in need from Nov. 13 to 16.

Jackets from James is a coat drive started three years ago in remembrance of high school graduate James Rodriguez of Selma, said Harman Dhesi, a pre-med student and member of the basic needs team for Peer Ambassador of Wellness (PAW).

On July 4, 2015, Rodriguez shopped for his first semester of college in the fall. He found a jacket promotion for a buy one, get one free sale.

Rodriguez bought one for himself and told his mother Jessica, who worked for a school, he wanted the extra jacket to go to a student in need, Dhesi said. Rodriguez died of an aneurysm the same day.

As a way to honor Rodriguez, Jackets from James was born. Dhesi’s fellow PAW volunteer knew James and suggested the partnership as an additional component of Fresno State’s Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week.

“We try to add in more components every year and make this bigger and better. Basic needs is a bigger topic on our campus and on all college campuses than it ever has been before,” said Melissa Norris, Health Services Specialist and adviser to the PAW program.

There are four donation locations on campus: the Student Cupboard (IT 144), the Student Health and Counseling Center, Student Services (Joyal 224) and the Student Recreation Center.

At the end of the week, all the donated outerwear will be taken to the Poverello House to be distributed.

Coordinator of Food Security Project Jessica Medina is overseeing the other events on campus supporting and raising awareness for students in need. Food Security Project includes the Student Cupboard, Catered Cupboard and CalFresh.

The Student Cupboard is a resource with free food and hygiene products available to current Fresno State students located in the Industrial Technology Building, Room 144.

The Catered Cupboard is an initiative available to students to find where a catered event on campus has ended and enjoy a free meal as an “after event guest.”

CalFresh is an assistance program designed to help provide affordable nutrition to low-income individuals and families. The Food Security Project will be holding a pre-screening clinic for students who may be eligible for up to $192 a month for groceries Wednesday, Nov. 14 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Henry Madden Library.

In addition, the Poverello House will be bring in its food truck to Fresno State and will be giving away 300 meals to students Thursday, Nov. 15, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. For more information, follow @studentcupboard and @fshealthpaws on all social media or visit the Food Security webpage.