TNS
Lyft is offering half-off rides to polling stations on Nov. 6, 2018. (Jose A. Iglesias/Miami Herald/TNS)

Lyft wants to give you a ride to the voting booth, for 50 percent off

The ride-share company Lyft is promoting civic engagement by offering 50 percent off on rides if the destination is a voting booth.

The company announced the deal to address a staggering statistic in the United States that 15 million people did not vote in 2016 because of transportation issues.

People who live in communities that face substantial transportation issues will get to ride to the polls for free thanks to a partnership with Voto Latino, Urban League affiliates and League of Women Voters among others.

Lyft is working with Vote.org, Nonprofit Vote and TurboVote among others to encourage voting and those nonprofits will partner in sending out half-off promo codes. Get a code sent to you on Tuesday by clicking­here.

But that’s not all. Anyone riding with Lyft to the polls has a chance to be surprised with a special gift. The company did not release details there, so you’ll have to find out for yourself. That means go vote. Find the nearest polling station here.

Fresno State will not offer voting stations on campus Tuesday, but Associated Students, Inc. along with the NAACP will be in the Free Speech Area from noon to 1 p.m. to encourage voting. Free snacks and music will be provided.

Students who can not vote are still being encouraged to stay civically engaged. The Dream Success Center has a list of events for undocumented students to stay informed on important issues to them.

A webinar for updates on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, immigration and constitutional rights is scheduled for 12 p.m. on Nov. 8 in Henry Madden Library 2208. A coffee talk for undocumented students is also scheduled Thursday in University Student Union room 309.

A legal clinic for immigration assistance will be offered Saturday, Nov 17 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Joyal 224.