(Dalton Runberg/The Collegian)

Letter to the editor: Fresno State is not unsafe, as writer said

Angel Gonzalez’s conclusion that Fresno State is dangerous (letter to the editor Nov. 7) is unfounded and inflammatory.

The writer doesn’t state the source of his information.

He seems to infer that because the city of Fresno’s crime rate is higher than the national average that it must then follow that Fresno State is one of the most dangerous colleges in America.

There is no basis for Gonzalez’s conclusion.

For accurately reported data, we recommend The Collegian’s readers refer to Fresno State’s annual Clery Act Report, which includes information about safety and security at Fresno State.

The report looks at key policies and crime statistics for the three previous calendar years.

It also has extensive information about resources available to report and prevent crime and unsafe situations on campus.

Campus safety is of utmost concern at Fresno State. Our proactive law enforcement program focuses on the safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors.

Keeping Fresno State as safe as possible is a shared responsibility in which we all have a role.

Part of that responsibility involves not scaring the campus community with incorrect, sensational information.