International students gather for a night of vibrant celebration

International Student Services and Programs held the 35th Annual International Cultural Night on Sunday Nov. 18 in the Satellite Student Union.

International Cultural Night is organized by international students of Fresno State, as well as faculty members and the community. Hundreds of attendees enthusiastically supported and celebrated cultural diversity in Fresno.

The program consisted of 10 short performances including dances and music from eight different countries and cultures. The show ended with an international fashion show displaying traditional attire from all over the world.

Three performances were festival dances from India by solo dancer Varnita Jain, the Indian Student Club and a group of individual dancers. The Fresno State Horn Ensemble played compositions representing sounds of Germany with French horns.

The Mexican dance group Los Danzantes de Aztlan performed a dance called “Sones Jarochos” which reflects 19th century Mexican tradition. The dancers wore all white and the females were adorned with colored shawls and hair ribbons. The dance consisted of lively stomping and yipping–which excited audience members.

Assistant Vice President of International Affairs Dr. Sarah Lam said the performers had been practicing for months leading up the event.

Two of the performers, Pimma Adhikari and Jashmine Ingwaba, danced a folk dance from their home country of Nepal. Adhikari and Ingwaba have been performing Nepali folk dances for many years, but this was their first International Cultural Night. They were invited by Dr. Anil Shrestha, also from Nepal.

Nepali folk music often features the madal, a small hand drum used for keeping rhythm and the flute. Adhikari, Ingwaba and the Nepali friends with them said they were very excited to share a piece of Nepal’s thousands of years old tradition.

Sophia Ebenezer attended the event for the first time dressed in her traditional garb accessorized with a brightly colored head scarf. She is from Nigeria and has studied in the Master’s clinical rehabilitation and mental health counseling program for two years.

“Events like this bring other cultures together,” Ebenezer said. “I’m really happy to be here. I’m proud to be representing my country.”