Fresno State said on Friday, Nov. 16, 2018, that it was monitoring the air quality. Operations at several CSU campuses have been affected by hazardous smoke levels. (Cresencio Rodriguez-Delgado/The Collegian)

Fresno State is monitoring the air quality, says closing campus not an option yet

Fresno State, like several other California State Universities, is seeing the effects of smoke from the wildfires that have taken a grip on the state.

On Friday, University President Dr. Joseph Castro acknowledged the university was keeping a close eye on the smoke levels, which had reached unhealthy levels.

Sacramento State cancelled classes all week due to the smoke. Chico State has also experienced extreme danger and loss from the deadly Camp Fire. Castro said in an email to the campus Friday that “more than 200 members of the Chico State campus community have lost their homes, with more than 900 evacuated or displaced.”

RELATED:­Smoke hovers over Fresno State campus (Pictures)

CSU Channel Islands also faced smoke hazards from the Woolsey Fire burning in the hills near Malibu. Images of thick smoke blanketing the cities up and down the state, including the Bay Area, have been widely circulated.

“At this point, a total of nine sister CSU campuses have either closed or curtailed campus activity to protect safety or because of concerns over air quality,” read a message sent out Friday by Castro. So far, the university has not made plans to close the campus or reschedule outdoor events.

If the air quality does not worsen, Saturday’s football game at Bulldog Stadium against­San Diego State is scheduled to kick off at the regular time, 7:30 p.m.

The Air Quality Index in Fresno reached 155 as of 2 p.m. Friday, meaning people should avoid prolonged exposure to the air.