Fresno State defensive back Juju Hughes (23) intercepts Boise State quarterback Brett Rypien in the end zone as running back Alexander Mattison (22) is unable to get to the ball on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018, at Albertsons Stadium in Boise, Idaho. (Darin Oswald/Idaho Statesman/TNS)

‘Dogs fall in familiar territory, putting their fate on the line

The Fresno State football team put its 8-1 record on the line away from home in a Mountain West Conference showdown against the Boise State Broncos that had more than bragging rights at stake.

The Broncos once again walked off their home field with the score in their favor, 24-17, giving the Bulldogs their second loss of the season and first defeat in Mountain West Conference play.

For the ‘Dogs it was a game that, if won, would likely solidify them in the eyes of playoff voters as one of the best teams in the nation and for the Broncos a win would get them back on track for a conference title shot at the end of the season.

The Broncos got on the scoreboard first with a field goal, giving them a three-point lead that they would take into the second quarter. The Bulldogs got on the scoreboard in the second quarter with a 3-yard touchdown by wide receiver Keesean Johnson from quarterback Marcus McMaryion.

For the remainder of the first half, the ‘Dogs seemed to have control of the game, with their defense forcing several punts and an interception in the last minutes of the first half. The offense took over for the ‘Dogs and scored a field goal, giving them a seven-point lead, 10-3, going into halftime.

For the second half of the game, Fresno State again started quickly, going down the field in its first drive of the half and scoring a touchdown thanks to a 1-yard run by running back Ronnie Rivers.

From that moment on, the Broncos would take over the game completely, shutting down the Bulldogs offense and making the ‘Dogs defense stay on the field for an extended time. Boise State would score once more in the third quarter and then twice in the fourth quarter, taking a 24-17 lead.

The Bulldogs had a final chance in the last minutes of the game, but were unable to convert a fourth down, giving the ball back to the Broncos. The ‘Dogs defense was able to force a stop of the Broncos offense in a fourth-and-one yard to go situation, but when the ball was measured, the officiating crew gave the first down to Boise State, effectively ending the game.

Next up for the ‘Dogs, they will face San Diego State University at home for the top spot in the West division of the Mountain West Conference.