Bulldogs quarterback Marcus McMaryion was named as a Wuerffel award semifinalist on Thursday. (Jose Romo/The Collegian)

Bulldogs quarterback named as community service award semifinalist

Fresno State quarterback Marcus McMaryion was named as one of 12 semifinalists for the 2018 Wuerffel Award on Thursday, known as “College Football’s Premier Award for Community Service,” according to a news release from Fresno State Athletics.

Named after Danny Wuerffel, the 1996 Heisman Award winner for the University of Florida, the award is given to the player “who best combines exemplary community service with athletic and academic achievement,” the release said.

Joining McMaryion as semifinalists are three players also from the Mountain West Conference, including Boise State quarterback Brett Rypien, San Jose State punter/kicker Bryce Crawford and senior University of Hawaii long snapper Noah Borden.

“Once again, this year validates how many outstanding young men are out there doing wonderful work serving others in their communities,” said Wuerffel, according to Fresno State Athletics. “It was such a difficult job we had narrowing the list down to only 12 semifinalists. These young men truly represent the best of the best.”

The three finalists for the award will be announced on Nov. 18 and the formal announcement of the 2018 Wuerffel Trophy recipient is scheduled to be made on Dec. 4. at the National Football Foundation’s press conference in New York City.