Fresno+State+senior+Emma+DenBesten+and+Daniel+LaJune+as+Janet+and+Brad.+
Fresno State senior Emma DenBesten and Daniel LaJune as Janet and Brad.

Students and staff of Fresno State perform in The Rocky Horror Show

Fresno State students, alumni and staff will be performing in the Selma Arts Center’s production of “The Rocky Horror Show.”

The limited run of this cult classic is a fundraiser for the company’s exciting upcoming season, and is a special two-night engagement that runs Friday, Oct. 26 and Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018.

“The Rocky Horror Show” is a musical with lyrics and book by Richard O’Brien and was adapted into the 1975 film “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”, which has become a cult classic and a must-screen favorite around this time of year.

It’s the story of a newly engaged couple getting caught in a storm and finding themselves at the home of a mad (and sexy!) scientist, Dr. Frank-N-Furter, as he unveils his new creation, an artificially made, fully grown, physically perfect muscle man “with blonde hair and a tan,” named Rocky Horror.

The lead role of Dr. Frank-N-Furter will be played by Fresno State’s Terry Lewis, who works in the Henry Madden Library as a subject specialist for theatre arts and dance.

Under the vocal direction of Tim Fletcher, the production includes some of the Central Valley’s most talented and prolific performers, such as, Camille Gaston, Aaron Pierce, Emma DenBesten, Alina Gonzalez and Jacquie Wilson Broach, all of whom are attending or have attended Fresno State. Other players include Alex Figueroa, Abigail Nolte and Daniel LaJune.

Juan Luis Guzman, who is producing the show, says, “This is a full-fledged musical production. You will often see groups do very fun ‘shadow cast’ performances with Rocky Horror, where cast members sing over the film version, but SAC audiences will be treated to the whole experience.”

And, with props for audience participation on sale in the box office, audiences should expect the complete experience.

Director Michael Flores adds, “This particular production is special because, with the help of Kyle Lowe, we’ve merged film and stage for our audiences. Selected scenes are actually prerecorded and will be projected during the show. It is the perfect marriage, performing live and playing prerecorded scenes throughout the show. It’s also a way for us to pay homage to the cult classic film version.”

The performance also features choreography by Michael Flores and Caitlin Stahl and live musical accompaniment under the direction of Matthew Smoke.

The performance on Oct. 26 is rated R and starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 and available online at selmaartscenter.com or 559-891-2238.

The show on Oct. 27 is also rated R but is strictly 18 and over. Tickets are $30 including entry to a Halloween extravaganza and costume ball before the performance. Admission grants entry to the party featuring games, drinks, and music, plus a costume contest with prizes. Alcoholic beverages will be sold along with concessions. A seat for the performance is included. Doors open and the party kicks off at 9:30 p.m. with showtime at 11:30 p.m.

The Selma Arts Center is located at 1935 High St., Selma, California