Rock band supports Janz

Rock band supports Janz

Rock band Cake will be performing at the Crest Theatre on behalf of Andrew Janz’s campaign for California’s 22nd Congressional District seat.

Cake’s most recent album, “Showroom of Compassion,” debuted at ­No. 1­on the Billboard Top 200 album chart and was touted for its “deadpan brilliance” by The New­Yorker. The band is currently working on its ninth album, which is due for release later this year.

Lead singer John McCrea reached out to the Janz campaign in order to help move the candidate forward against incumbent Rep. Devin Nunes. He said, “We aren’t completely unaware of politics.”

McCrea said in a press statement announcing the show, “Cake is proud to be able to help out in getting real leadership for the Valley and for America. It’s a critical time for the world, and it’s more important than ever to find leaders capable of putting country above self-interest. Real greatness comes from community, cooperation and ethical leadership.”

The alternative rock band based out of Sacramento will be performing Friday, Nov. 2, at the “Vote Like Hell” concert at the Historic Crest Theatre five days before the election on Tuesday, Nov. 6.

In a press statement, Janz said, “This election is one of the most important elections of a generation. I’m excited to join Cake and help rock the vote here in Fresno. Valley residents deserve to be treated like the rockstars that they are, and I know it’s going to be a great night.”

McCrea on Tuesday expressed the need for younger citizens to vote. He said that older citizens see voting as their “civic duty.” McCrea added “that voting should not be about feelings and individuality but rather we need to collectively try and get to a better place.”

Tickets to the concert are $40 each and $100 for VIP tickets, which includes a cocktail hour and photo opportunities with Janz and Cake, along with a signed screen print of “Vote Like Hell” artwork. ­

The VIP meet and greet cocktail hour begins at 6:30 p.m.; doors open at 7:30 p.m., the program begins at 8:20 p.m.; and the show begins at 8:30 p.m.