Photo credits to clutchprep.com (Note: Hawaii’s registration deadline was Oct. 10)

Letter to the editor: Let your voice be heard

Not enough college students vote.

Just 48 percent of students voted in the 2016 presidential election and just 43 percent of science, technology, engineering and mathematics majors voted.

For midterm elections, like the one quickly approaching, the numbers are even worse.

Only 18 percent of college students voted in the 2014 midterm election. Conversely, 70 percent of retirees vote. Do you think those retirees are accurately representing your interests?

The importance of voting in midterm elections, specifically by college students, is often overlooked.

Local elections can easily be swayed by a handful of votes. Aside from the social aspects of voting, these regional policies may directly affect matters such as financial awards, student debt and funding for your institution.

It has been shown that most undergraduate students who are first-time voters are challenged by the unfamiliarity of the registration process and miss the deadline. Let me help you be a powerful force in your community!

Represent your interests by voicing the concerns and opinions that will ultimately affect your undergraduate atmosphere in the foreseeable future.

Here are the two things to pay attention to:

The first is a graphic of all the voter registration dates by state. Many of these dates are quickly approaching, and some have already passed!

Find your state, and make sure you’re registered to vote. We don’t have much time. Luckily you can register online in 38 states (including California). And in 10 more states, you can register in person on the same day that you vote.

Register to vote before the deadline. Show up to vote on Nov. 6th. I am not going to tell you who to vote for, but you have a right to vote. Exercise it.