Tribune News Service

Healthy Bulldogs: Fun and safe Halloween ideas to do

Halloween fun is not just for kids.

From parties to scary outings with friends to staying home, Halloween can be fun for college students, too! ­

Use these tips to play it safe tonight.

Use the buddy system

When heading out for your Halloween fun, make sure you have a designated party buddy so that you can keep track of each other.­

Whether you go to a party down the street or head to a scary pumpkin patch, you want to be sure that you arrive together and leave together. ­

Be sure that your phones are charged and that you’ve exchanged numbers in case you get separated.

Don’t drive anywhere

Most Fresno State students use a designated driver. ­

If you don’t have one, be sure to line up transportation to get you home safely. ­

There are plenty of options these days whether you use Lyft, Uber or a taxi service. ­

The other option is to seek Halloween fun within walking distance.

Avoid the punch bowl

If you’re going to drink, avoid this ghoulish concoction because you never know what type of alcohol (and other things) have been tossed in. ­

Sticking with one type of alcohol and setting your drinking limit ahead of time is best. ­

On average, it takes your body about one hour to metabolize and sober up from one drink.

Don’t put your drink down

Be sure to keep hold of your drink at all times. You never know who could slip something in it that could impair you. ­

If you do lose sight of your drink and/or you’re in doubt, toss it and get a new one.

Go easy on the sugary treats

While you may want to eat before and while drinking alcohol, it’s best to avoid simple sugars, like candy, so go for foods high in protein and fat instead. ­

Food choices, such as a hamburger and fries, will coat your stomach lining and help slow down alcohol absorption into your bloodstream. ­

Not only will your dentist be proud of you, but your stomach will also be better cared for as well.

Other party alternatives

If going out to a Halloween party is not your plan, there are many other things you can do for Halloween fun. ­

Staying home, sipping on a pumpkin spice latte, handing out candy and binge-watching scary movies is a nice alternative. ­

For scary good times, there are a few local pumpkin patches in the Fresno area to raise the hair on the back of your neck.