Fresno State professor Dr. Bradley Hart.

Fresno State professor’s book makes Time magazine list

A recent list by Time magazine recognizes “13 New Books Everyone Will Be Talking About This Fall,” among them is a 304-page work of nonfiction written by a Fresno State professor.

The book is “Hitler’s American Friends,” written by Dr. Bradley Hart, a professor and assistant chair in the media, communications and journalism department at Fresno State. The publication examines Americans who supported Hitler and the Third Reich during the time of World War II.

The list puts Hart’s book in the company of some prominent authors. They include Michael Lewis, author of the 2003 baseball hit “Moneyball,” Michelle Obama and Stormy Daniels’ highly topical biography.

“It feels fantastic. It was a huge surprise,” Hart said. “Certainly it’s a great addition to my wall of honor at home. I have it cut out of Time magazine and framed.”

The book’s narrative may hold additional significance in modern American society, as a growing number of neo-Nazi groups and supporters have been featured in various news media in the last several years, and the tendency of individuals to accept wildly hateful ideologies still seems incredibly prevalent.

“It’s very interesting to see events follow the research of the book in some sense,” Hart said. He also noted that although some contemporary events may be referenced in the book, it is primarily a historical study.

“It’s certainly disheartening to see people carrying a swastika next to the American flag in 2017 and 2018…as we’re seeing now,” Hart said.

Published by Thomas Dunne Books of Macmillan Publishers, the book was released on Oct. 2 and is available for purchase at Amazon in hardcover, as an audiobook and as a Kindle e-book.

Hart was originally a Bay Area native but graduated from Fresno Christian High School and received his undergraduate degree at Fresno State. Hart then moved to the U.K. to attend the University of St. Andrews for his master’s degree and the University of Cambridge for his Ph.D.

This is the third published work by Hart. His previous books include a historical textbook as well as a nonfiction biographical account of a British anthropologist who became a staunch supporter of the Nazi party in the 1930s.