The Nikon D3000, a 10.2-megapixel DSLR, is the perfect entry-level camera for those who want something more powerful than a simple point-and-shoot. (Nikon/MCT)

Calling all photographers

Photography professor Neil Chowdhury and media, communications and journalism student Jose Romo have started a new photography club at Fresno State that will meet for the first time in the courtyard of the Conley Art Building at noon on Friday, Oct. 19.

Chowdhury said the club plans to go out on photo shooting expeditions and hold workshops in both urban and natural settings. Whether you are an art student or just looking to try your hand at still photos, the photography club welcomes all skill levels, he said.

Chowdhury has always considered himself a photographer. He used his parents basement as a dark room when he was young and eventually studied to get his Masters of Fine Arts in photography.

His vision for this club had been a long time coming. Although students typically start clubs on campus, Chowdhury thought he’d step in and give photography lovers a little nudge. That is exactly how he found the club’s president, Romo.

Romo showed interest in the club, although he never had been in a club on campus previously. Both Chowdhury and Romo agreed that Romo was thrown into his current position as president.

Not deterred, however, Romo said he is excited to take the lead and get the club up and running.

Romo is a senior studying multimedia. This is his first semester on staff shooting for The Collegian. Romo started his college career in the graphic communications program at Fresno City College, but this year he has taken an interest in shooting still shots as opposed to just moving pictures.

He enjoys sports photography and would love to pursue that as a career after graduation. Romo is playing catch-up as far as his photography skills go, although the rules of composition are the same for both photography and video, he said.

Romo looks forward to meeting other photographers and using the club as an outlet to learn from one another.