Fresno State wide receiver Jamire Jordan returns a missed field goal 100 yards for a touchdown in the Bulldogs’ 50-20 victory over Hawaii on Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018. (Jose Romo/The Collegian)

Bulldogs send message to rest of Mountain West with defeat of Hawaii

Homecoming is where the heart is. At least, that’s what the Fresno State Bulldogs made it feel like on Saturday night during their utter domination of the University of Hawaii Warriors, 50-20.

Everyone in the red and blue came to play, almost as if the team was consciously putting on a show for the visiting alumni.

From offense to defense all the way down to the kick return game, the ‘Dogs played quite possibly their most complete game of the season against a Hawaii team that was leading the Mountain West coming into the contest.

Not anymore.

The victory is the ‘Dogs sixth straight, and each can be comfortably placed in the “butt-kicking” category. The average margin of victory has been 23.1 points.

Offensively, quarterback Marcus McMaryion continued the tear he has been on since the winning streak began against UCLA on Sept. 15. McMaryion has thrown for at least 250 yards in five consecutive contests, during which he has thrown 16 touchdown passes and just a single, solitary interception against Toledo on Sept. 29.

Against Hawaii, before being subbed out due to the blowout, McMaryion threw for 284 yards and 4 touchdowns, and all four were to different receivers.

Including KeeSean Johnson, who, along with his eight catches for 102 yards and a score, passed former Fresno State star receiver and current Green Bay Packer, Devante Adams, for No. 1 on the program’s all-time career leaderboard for receptions, with 234.

The other receivers to find paydirt? That would be Jamire Jordan, running back Jordan Mims, and Jared Rice.

McMaryion said that the offense has been firing on all cylinders during the team’s six-game win streak. “The offense is operating well. The coaches are doing a good job of putting us in good situations and making sure we understand the game plan going in,” McMaryion said. “Going into the week we get every defensive look you can possibly imagine so when it comes to game time we have seen every defensive look we can possibly get so we are definitely confident going into the games on Saturday.”

Even the return game got into the action. Receiver Jamire Jordan, who had a touchdown receiving on the night, returned a field goal that missed short from his team’s own end zone 100 yards as the clock expired to end the first half.

Defensively, although the team did give up a healthy 374 yards, kept a Hawaii team that had been averaging a shade under 35 points a game to 20.

The ‘Dogs forced Hawaii into two turnovers, including an interception by defensive back Juju Hughes and a fumble recovery by defensive end Mykal Walker.

The ‘Dogs now sit in first place in the Mountain West at 4-0 and are 7-1 overall heading into next week’s showdown on the road against UNLV.