Sally Kohn, author of “The Opposite of Hate” and host of the State of Resistance podcast, held a forum on inclusion, respect, and equity at Fresno State on October 4, 2018. (Jose Romo/The Collegian)

Author Sally Kohn comes to Fresno State to host forum on inclusion

Sally Kohn, author of “The Opposite of Hate” and host of the State of Resistance podcast, held a forum on Oct. 3 and 4 at Fresno State.

Kohn’s new book emphasizes the idea of minimizing hate in the world between individuals or groups of people.

“The history in the past and the habits in the present”” demeaning and dehumanizing people because of who they are or what they believe”” is corrosive to justice, equality, fairness, and democracy,” said Kohn.

The forum was a way for Kohn to have rich conversations about diversity, inclusion, and identity with Fresno State’s community.

To improve inclusion and respect in society, Kohn suggests its important to recognize that despite progress, our society is still socially segregated by political beliefs, religion and ethnicity.

“When we tend to think about hate, we tend to think about them and their hate, we don’t think about me and my hate,” said Kohn. ”The only way to solve a problem is when everybody recognizes there’s a problem and everybody works to be a part of the solution.”