Fresno State volunteer wrestling coach Joe Colon stands at the podium as he receives his bronze medal at the World Wrestling Championships. Oct. 21, 2018 (Photo/ Fresno State Athletics

Assistant wrestling coach takes bronze at World Championships

Fresno State wrestling volunteer assistant coach Joe Colon won a bronze medal on Sunday during the 2018 World Wrestling Championships celebrated in Budapest Hungary, according to a Fresno State Athletics news release.

Colon competed in the Freestyle 134 lbs weight class and won three out of his four matches, securing a third place finish in the tournament.

Coming into the tournament as the number four seed in his class, Colon defeated Ivan Bileichuk of Ukraine, 9-6, in his first match. Colon moved to the quarterfinals where he encountered Vladimir Dubov of Bulgaria, which he defeated, 10-0.

In the semifinals, he met his toughest opponent of the tournament, Yowlys Bonne Rodriguez of Cuba, who was the number-six seed in the tournament. Bonne-Rodriguez proved to be too much for Colon, who would lose the match, 9-4, and would have to fight for third place.

For the bronze medal, Colon faced Mohammadbagher Yakhkeshi of Iran, who was ranked fifth in the tournament. Colon went on to defeat Yakhkeshi with an overwhelming, 13-2 score, winning third place in the tournament.

Colon is entering his second season as volunteer assistant coach for the Bulldogs.