The influenza virus hijacks human cells in the nose and throat to make copies of itself. (Dreamstime)

10 ways to help you stay healthy during season changes in college

With the subtle weather changes and the first appearance of rain, fall is coming at us at full speed. This means flu season is right around the corner, and there are some steps you might want to start taking so you don’t wake up one morning with a runny nose and sore throat.

Keep those hands clean

Wash your hands before you eat and anytime after you touch your nose, mouth or eyes. Take even greater precaution if you have been exposed to someone who is sick.

Stay hydrated

Start every day with a glass of water. Dry throats and nasal passages can grow full of bacteria. That’s a cold waiting to happen! Staying hydrated can also help with digestion, fighting off colds and boosting your energy levels.

Get in your beauty sleep

Getting in the right amount of sleep for your body will boost your immune system and give you the needed energy to go about your day. Get at least seven to eight hours of rest every night, and going to bed earlier can prepare you for the time change ahead.

Get rid of stress.

Stress is very destructive to your immune system, and being in college high levels of stress are found due to classes and exams. Take some time to de-stress, and don’t run yourself down too often.

Stay active

Aside from getting lots of rest, you need to get moving. When you may want to cuddle up during cooler weather and watch a movie, you should exercise instead. Exercise is a great way to improve your mood, de-stress and, most importantly, boost your immune system.

Fight off germs

In college you are always in close proximity with peers, whether that be in class or in your home. Being aware of the germs you come in contact with can be a life saver and help you remember to fight them off. Wipe down things, and, most importantly, get your flu shot.

Check the weather and dress accordingly

When the weather is changing, it can be quite confusing when one day is warm and sunny and the next overcast and cloudy. Check the weather a day ahead so you can always dress properly. This way you won’t ever forget a sweater and scarf or your umbrella.

Eat healthier

Autumn is a great time to eat healthy, because the season provides us with many fruits and vegetables that can provide you with the nutrients you need to keep your immune system intact. Avoid sugary and caffeinated drinks which will only weaken your immune system.

Take your vitamins

If you aren’t getting enough nutrients that your body needs from your diet, taking vitamins can come in handy. Taking vitamins can make up for any nutrients you are lacking and will help your immunity.

Try some tea

When looking for an energy boost drink tea instead of coffee tea will keep you more hydrated and will keep you energized longer. The biggest benefit is its immune-boosting properties. So drink up!