Fresno State and The Big Fresno Fair partnered for the fourth annual Feed the Need food drive. More than 60,000 pounds of food was donated on Sept. 27, 2018.(Jose Romo/The Collegian)

More than 60,000 pounds of food was donated during ‘Feed the Need’

The fourth annual Feed the Need food drive held at Fresno State on Wednesday provided 63,800 pounds of food for the university’s Student Cupboard.

The figure was released Thursday by Jessica Medina, coordinator of the Food Security Project at Fresno State.

Medina said around 200 volunteers, including student athletes and community members, helped gather the food and money donations. Officials were still in the process of counting the donations.

The food drive was held at the Red Lot, near Bulldog Stadium, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Medina said the busiest time was between 4 and 7 p.m.

Nearly 4,000 tickets for The Big Fresno Fair were handed out. Anyone who brought in food donations was given one free ticket to enter the fair that is good for any day of the fair,­which runs from Oct. 3-14.

“What it means to us is being able to stock those shelves for our students, which is really important,” Medina told The Collegian before Wednesday’s food drive.