Senior quarterback Marcus McMaryion scrambles up the middle for a touchdown in Fresno State’s victory over Toledo College on Saturday 9/28/18. Jose Romo/The Collegian

Bulldogs stay hot by routing Toledo at home

What a difference two years can make.

Back on Sept. 17, 2016, the Fresno State football team lost to the University of Toledo, 52-17.

On Saturday night, the ‘Dogs exacted their revenge on the Rockets with a dominant, 49-27 victory at Bulldog Stadium.

It just might have been the most complete game the team has played all season, considering the opponent. Fresno State held a Rockets offense that had averaged 51 points a contest up to this point in the season to just 13 in the first half.

Much of the second half was the same. The Rockets did not score in the second half until the fourth quarter in garbage time.

Not too surprising for a team in Fresno State that ranked first in the Mountain West in points allowed per game, surrendering just 16.

Redshirt junior defensive end Mykal Walker had the defensive highlight of the game when he intercepted and then returned a Toledo pass 38 yards for a touchdown.

But the offense certainly appeared to have their fun as well.

‘Dogs senior quarterback Marcus McMaryion, who just two weeks ago ran for four touchdowns and threw for another, reversed that stat line Saturday. He threw a party on Toledo’s defense to the tune of 368 passing yards, four touchdowns and added a rushing touchdown, for good measure.

He was able to find holes in a defense that had to worry about the myriad of offensive weapons that Fresno State boasts.

Running back Jordan Mims played a complete, all around game for his team. Mims was just as much a threat catching the ball as he was running with it.

The sophomore caught six passes for 126 yards and a touchdown, while also rushing 15 times for 61 yards and another touchdown.

Receiver KeeSean Johnson extended his streak of consecutive games with a catch to 40, all the while catching six passes for 102 yards and two touchdowns.

It was all part of an effort that piled up 554 total yards.

The game marked the end of Fresno State’s nonconference portion of the schedule. The ‘Dogs open up Mountain West play Oct. 6 at Nevada.