Paige Gibbs/The Collegian

Book by Fresno State professor emeritus benefits the deaf and hearing

Professor Emeritus Paul Ogden, along with officials from the California Department of Education and Fresno Unified, presented an updated resource to parents with children who are deaf or hard of hearing Monday at a press conference.

Ogden is the co-author of the book “The Silent Garden: A Parent’s Guide to Raising a Deaf Child.” Both authors are Deaf themselves and offer a unique perspective for parents on topics such as education options for their children, how to foster healthy relationships and general information on the deaf community.

At Lori Ann Infant Program, Nick and Bethany Sellai were given the book for their son, Copper, who is hard of hearing. Arlene Sevilla was given the book for her son, Xavier, who is deaf. Both sets of parents were very excited to have such a resource available to them. Sevilla said she is thankful to have so much support.

Deaf and hard of hearing program consultant for the California Department of Education Julie Rems-Smario said that this resource is important because it is written from deaf adults’ perspectives, which gives parents special insight that books written by hearing professionals simply can’t give.

“We know what the journey entails,” said Rems-Smario, as she is a Deaf adult.

Ogden is the founder of Sunflowers in the Silent Garden, a non-profit organization that aims to provide resources to parents whose children have been identified as deaf or hard of hearing. Nearly 1,200 babies are born every year in the state of California who do not pass the Newborn Hearing Screening.

Many times parents don’t have complete information until their child is 3 or 4, Ogden said. By then, the child has suffered language delays, doesn’t have adequate knowledge about what they are dealing with and has social awareness limitations. Often parents have to wait until their child is ready to go to school.

“We want parents to have this information right from the start,” Ogden said.

The most recent edition is available in both English and Spanish, as well as audiobook in both languages. Ogden is especially excited to have it available in Spanish, as it is the first of its kind.

Ogden is proud to now be partnering with the California Department of Education to see this resource get in as many parents’ hands as possible.

For more information about Ogden’s work and Sunflowers, follow this link. “The Silent Garden” is also available for purchase here­or in Spanish here.