TNS
Former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger speaks on the Los Angeles campus of USC on April 5, 2017. (Rick Loomis/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Arnold Schwarzenegger says he’s ‘pumped’ for launch of Fresno State project

An ambitious project by a Fresno State journalism professor has the ringing endorsement from the man who took down the predator.

Former California governor and celebrity Arnold Schwarzenegger publicly announced his support for Fresno State’s­ recently-launched Institute for Media and Public Trust. He also expressed his support­for the man leading the institute — Media, Communication and Journalism professor Jim Boren.

“I’m pumped for (Boren),” Schwarzenegger tweeted Tuesday to his 4.2 million followers.

Schwarzenegger highlighted the institute’s efforts to “improve media literacy and fight fake news” under the direction of Boren, who is the inaugural director of the institute and a media writing professor.

Schwarzenegger also complimented Boren on his legacy as longtime editor of The Fresno Bee.

“I can’t wait to see his work on this new project,” Schwarzenegger said in his post that included a link to the institute’s website and a welcome message from Boren.

In his welcome message to the public, Boren writes, “The distrust of media, and most other major institutions, has many major negative consequences in our society, including a lack of civic engagement in our democracy.”

The institute’s launch was announced in June and already has events planned. A forum on free speech is scheduled for 6 p.m. Sept. 17 in the Peters Education Center. The forum will include Academic Senate chair Dr. Thomas Holyoke, California Faculty Association Fresno State Chapter President Dr. Diane Blair and Associated Students, Inc. President Demi Wack among others.

“The forum is in response to recent campus free speech controversies hat have played out nationally on social media and other media outlets,” according to the institute’s website.